Elected for a sixth term, Dr. Herb Conaway, a Democrat, has been serving the 7th Legislative District as their Assemblyman since January 13, 1998. In the 213th Legislature, Dr. Conaway is a leader in the Democratic Majority, serving as Chairman of the Health and Human Services Committee and member of the Appropriations and Agriculture and Natural Resources Committees.
Dr. Conaway is the only member of the Legislature who has both a medical and law degree. He specializes in internal medicine and practices in Willingboro, New Jersey. Raised in Burlington County, he received his Bachelor’s Degree in Politics from Princeton University and earned his medical degree at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia and his J.D. degree from Rutgers Law School, Camden.
The Assemblyman served as a United States Air Force Captain in the medical corps at McGuire Air Force Base, as a general medical officer and as an assistant director of the Primary Care Clinic for the base.
Dr. Conaway previously served on the Board of Trustees of Family Service of Burlington County and is a former board member of the Boys and Girls Club of Burlington County.
In the Assembly, Dr. Conaway sponsored New Jersey’s Primary Seat Belt Law, expanded the list of crimes for collecting DNA samples, and added technology to New Jersey schools core curriculum standards. The Assemblyman has also introduced legislation to increase property tax rebates, expand health care access and prescription coverage, enhance consumer protection, promote nutrition in schools, and increase support for veterans.
Dr. Conaway has received numerous awards and has been recognized by many organizations for his efforts on behalf of New Jersey’s citizens:
- 2009 – Distinguished Legislator Award by the New Jersey Speech-Language Hearing Association.
- 2008 – awarded by the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) for his leadership on the use of healthcare information technology (HIT) and management systems for the betterment of healthcare
- 2008 – Community Health Center Champion Award by the NJ Primary Care Association
- 2008 – Honored by The Council of State Governments
- 2007 – Legislator of the Year by ASAH
- 2007 – Citizen Award by DeHugo Consistory No.2 A.A.S.R P.H.A
- 2007 – Honored by the Brain Injury Association of NJ
- 2007 – Honored by the Behavioral Health and Wellness
- 2006 – Legislative Leadership Award by AARP
- 2006 – Epic Award by The Institute for Nursing
- 2006 – Community Health Center Champion Award by the NJ Primary Care Association
- 2005 – Community Service Award by the Second Baptist Church in Moorestown, NJ
- 2005 – Governors’ Representative Award by NJ Division of Highway Traffic Safety
- 2004 – Thomas Jefferson Elected Official Public Service Democracy Award by NJ Federation of Democratic Women Burlington County
- 2004 – Honored by the American Academy of Pediatrics NJ Chapter
- 2004 – Honored by the NJ Army National Guard
- 2003 – Public Official Award by South Jersey Police Chiefs’ Association
- 2003 – Legislator of the Year Award by NJ Podiatric Medical Society
- 2003 – The Excellence in Prevention Award by Prevention Plus of Burlington County
- 2002 – Honored by the Technology Educators Association of New Jersey
- 1999 – Political Action Award from the Willingboro NAACP
Dr. Conaway remains committed in his efforts to tackle other important issues for New Jerseyans by introducing measures to provide real property tax relief, improve the educational system, protect consumers and promote economic development.
The Assemblyman resides in Delanco with his family.
Chief of Staff: Ethan Hasbrouck
Scheduler: John Poole
Delran Professional Center
8008 Rt. 130 North
Delran, NJ 08075
Phone: (856) 461-3997