U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg vowed Tuesday he would fight any attempt by the Christie administration to drastically alter qualifications for FamilyCare, a program that provides health insurance to low-income residents.
Gov. Chris Christie has proposed lowering the income threshold from $24,645 to $5,317 a year for a family of three to qualify for the Medicaid spinoff program. The reduction would eliminate about 23,000 poeple from the program this year. Democrats attempted to restore the $9 million in savings to the budget they passed late last month, but the line item fell victim to Christie’s veto.
Lautenberg said he will work to make sure that the “reckless changes” proposed by Christie are denied.
“The next battle is going to be about the state FamilyCare health program, and I will work to urge the Obama Administration to deny the reckless FamilyCare eligibility changes that Governor Christie is proposing,” Lautenberg said in a statement. ” Along with President Obama, I have worked hard to provide New Jersey families with better access to health care, and we must not allow Governor Christie to reverse our progress.”