TRENTON – Governor Chris Christie announced today that NJ Transit will suspend its rail, light rail, bus and Access Link Paratransit services on Saturday as a safety precaution for customers and employees and to protect equipment, as New Jersey and its statewide transportation agency prepares for the impact of Hurricane Irene.
The following NJ Transit service advisories are in effect.
- All NJTRANSIT rail service will be suspended on all NJTRANSIT Rail Lines beginning at 12 p.m. Saturday.
- Trains originating at terminals before 12 p.m. will continue to their final destination.
- Rail service to the Meadowlands Sports Complex will also be suspended.
- Station waiting rooms that are controlled by NJTRANSIT will remain open throughout the weekend at all locations.
- · All NJTRANSIT bus service will be suspended statewide at 6 p.m. on Saturday, August 27, 2011.
- · Buses that are already en route will complete their trips.
Light Rail Service:
- · All light rail service – Hudson-Bergen, River Line and Newark light rail services – is suspended at 6 p.m. on Saturday, August, 27, 2011.
- · Light rail services that are already en route at 6 p.m. will complete their trips.
Access Link Service:
- · All Access Link Service will be suspended statewide at 6 p.m. on Saturday, August, 27, 2011 and Sunday, August 28, 2011.
- · No reservations will be taken for trips that are not scheduled to get customers home before 6 p.m. on Saturday.
- · All current reservations that have been made for trips after 6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday have been cancelled.
- · To give customers additional travel options NJTRANSIT will offer full systemwide cross-honoring starting at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, August 27 enabling NJTRANSIT customers to use their ticket or pass on an alternate travel mode—rail, bus or light rail – where service is available.
- · We encourage customers to check njtransit.com for updates.
- Before starting your trip, visit the Travel Alerts page at njtransit.com for up-to-the-minute service information. This information is also available by calling (973) 275-5555 or from broadcast traffic reports.
- Allow extra time getting to and from your destination. Use caution when walking on exposed sidewalks or station platforms and when boarding trains and buses.
- Report slippery or unsafe conditions to bus and light rail operators, train crews or
- Listen closely to public address announcements at stations for late-breaking service information.
For further information about safety precautions, evacuation routes and best practices please go to ready.nj.gov.