Christie maintains he had no prior knowledge of toll hike

Gov. Chris Christie said Thursday he had no prior knowledge of the Port Authority toll hike that took effect this year.

Speculation about when Christie learned about the proposal surfaced Thursday, after the New York Daily News reported that Christie had dinner with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo a week before the bi-state agency’s plan was leaked to the media.

During a stop in New Brunswick, Christie denied he knew anything about the plan prior to when the public learned about it, following a news report in the New York Post. He refused to disclose details about their dinner together.

“I’m not going to be talking about anything Gov. Cuomo and I talked about,” Christie said on Thursday.

He said he had a discussion with Port Authority directors David Samson and Bill Baroni.

Christie and Cuomo wrote a letter disapproving of their plan to increase tolls 50 percent on the Holland Tunnel, the Lincoln Tunnel, among other routes. However, they expressed support for a smaller increase last month, and the PANYNJ approved that smaller increase. The increased funds will go toward new construction projects.

Still, the originally proposed increase will be phased in, just not immediately.

Christie maintains he had no prior knowledge of toll hike