Lapo Elkann is the 38-year-old heir apparent to the Fiat Group automotive empire. He also sits at the helm of flourishing eyewear brand Italia Independent, which has a store right here in New York at 85 Mercer Street in addition to many other outposts around the world. His new side project, Garage Italia Customs, takes luxury automobiles that could already be considered rare beyond words, and adds an extra twist through custom details like tiger or pinstripe paint-jobs. There’s even a boat in the company’s arsenal covered in a blue “digital camouflage” print.
Apart from his growing empire, the man looks good in just about any piece of clothing he puts on, and his Instagram feed is a tactless smattering of car porn, airplane selfies, and sartorial badassness that over 200,000 people follow along with every day. He also unfailingly tacks on his signature hashtag, #italiansdoitbetter, to all of his posts, and based on his lifestyle, he might just be right. Thus, we proudly present, the 21 times in recent history when we all wanted to be Mr. Lapo Eduard Elkann.
1. When he out-styled a research and development team in a powder blue double breasted suit
2. When he matched his white double-breasted suit to the car he just bought
3. When he made a pitstop at a supermarket wearing the same suit
4. When he accepted GQ Spain’s Man Of The Year Award with his bombshell girlfriend on his arm
5. When he revealed he was fluent in French
6. When he wore the perfect shade of Ferrari red
7. When he essentially earned a role in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. sequel on a custom Vespa.
8. When he nailed the athleisure trend on a flight to China
9. When he got to China and greeted all of his fans – in Chinese
10. When he flew to China again with nothing but a wife-beater undershirt and a Gucci duffle bag
11. When he flaunted his chiseled physique
12. When he just sat right on top of his houndstooth-covered Fiat
13. When he was more interested in his jumpsuit than his camouflage Ferrari
14. When he took a break for coffee in the middle of launching his side project, Garage Italia Customs
15. When he looked like an off-duty James Bond in front of his 4C Alfa Romeo
16. When he dutifully descended the “stairway to business”
17. When he double-headed a ball with soccer legend Pelé in Switzerland to open a new Hublot store
18. When he draped himself all over Naomi Campbell at an amfAR benefit
19. When he inadvertently showed us his plane emblazoned with his company’s logo
20. When he inadvertently showed us his second plane, also emblazoned with his company’s logo
21. When he gave us a peek inside his multitiered closet, complete with a spiral staircase