As icicles start to form on the sidewalks, a jaunt to Bali or a trip to Tulum sounds more and more enticing. After all, there’s only so much Seamless a New Yorker can stand and after even your local pizza shop knows your order, an escape seems necessary. With a full planner for the rest of the year, it’s difficult to pencil in an impromptu vacation—but after calories consumed over Thanksgiving and Christmas, detoxifying is an inevitable solution. Here are a few glamorous yoga retreats that are far from granola.
1. Bali Surf Goddess Retreats, $3,195: Head to Bali for surf, yoga and unlimited spa treatments. You’ll spend seven days in a Pinterest-perfect private villa learning to surf and stand up paddle board in a tropical lagoon. When you’re not settling into downward dog, choose from activities like bicycling through the villages, exploring the jungle via white water raft or snorkeling in the Indian ocean. It’s like summer camp for adults, only with far more inventive (and luxurious) activity options. Begins March 11.
2. Sayulita Haramara Jungle Spirit Yoga Retreat, $3,050: Keep in mind that this retreat bills themselves as “Robinson Crusoe meets Architectural Digest.” With a wellness center onsite and a sweat lodge, it’s best to visit after January 1 when you’re ready to detox from boatloads of champagne. It’s perfect timing, because starting January 2, attendees can swim in the saltwater pool, either before or after three hours spent practicing yoga and meditation. Where better to practice your crow than in a treehouse among tropical birds? Begins January 2.
3. Belize Eco-Adventure Yoga Retreat, $3,195: Spend four nights in the Mayan jungle and three nights on a private Caribbean island. When you’re not in child’s pose during sunset yoga, take time to tour the ruins, explore some caves or snorkel in the world’s second largest barrier reef. The hardest decision you’ll make all week is whether you prefer yoga in the jungle or on the beach. Begins January 23.
4. Tuscany Vino and Vinyasa Yoga Retreat, $2,699: Does Tuscany bring to mind devastatingly delicious dishes? Eschew carbs (well, not completely), for a week spent in cobra pose, soaking up the Tuscan sun. It might not be the traditional vegan diet of a retreat, but you deserve to treat yourself to gelato, cheese, wine and olive oil tastings to celebrate your overall wellness. This is an undeniable excuse to explore everything Italy has to offer, including a hands-on bruschetta making class. Begins June 19.
5. Jicaro Island Ecolodge: For those who don’t want to be surrounded by strangers, plan your own retreat at this Nicaraguan ecolodge named one of the world’s best by National Geographic. It’s DIY in the most elegant way, as their yoga deck overlooks Lake Nicaragua and the Mombacho volcano. Step or jump to the front of your mat then venture to volcanoes. If that seems a little too dangerous, tour the plantations and tropical forests or take a dip in the hot springs.
6. Cristalino Lodge Amazon Sanctuary Meditation and Yoga Workshop: You’ll be saying namaste before you know it at this Amazon ecolodge with its own private reserve. Leave your bungalow for boat tours or enjoy the water from the comfort of the floating deck. Begins January 24.
7. Maui Bliss Sup Yoga Weekend Retreat, $1,895: Find your bliss by maintaining your New Year’s resolutions on the beach. There’s daily yoga, stand up paddleboard classes and tropical fruits that make eating, well, taste good. When you grow tired of beachside yoga, try cliff jumping, sailing, golf or a helicopter tour. Begins January 13.
8. SYNCStudio Tulum Wellness #reTREAT, $2,600: Brooklyn favorites SyncYoga are taking their studio to Tulum for a week. They’re commandeering the Amansala Eco Resort for seven sweat filled days of yoga and circuit classes. Begins May 12.
9. Yoga and Hill Walking, $1,566. If speed walking is more your speed, this retreat will combine your choice of cardio with yoga. The landscape alone is reason to visit, as the Alpujarra region is famous for its waterfalls, gorges, moorish villages and shaded valleys. There’s an onsite therapist, horseback riding and the Alhambra palace in Granada is nearby. Begins February 28.